From the halls of Foxboro Stadium…

A Win And A Loss

Posted by tonybiscaia on May 30, 2010

By Chris Rosa

FOXBOROUGH, Mass.- In an exciting, back and forth match that was marred by a horrific injury, the New England Revolution clinched their first victory in over a month by beating the New York Red Bulls 3-2 Saturday night at Gillette Stadium.

Marko Perovic scored the opening goal at the 8th minute, while the Revs were helped by an own goal in the 24th minute before Zack Schilawski sealed it in the 80th minute. Seth Stammler scored the first Red Bull goal in the 20th minute, while Juan Pablo Angel earned the other in the 49th minute.

The Revolution victory, however, was darkened after goalkeeper Preston Burpo suffered a gruesome right leg injury on a collision with Red Bull midfielder Dane Richards. The Revolution keeper was taken off the field on a stretcher and brought to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was diagnosed with a right lower leg fracture.

“You could see players were upset,” said Revolution manager Steve Nicol. “We did well to gather ourselves afterward and we (got the victory) for Preston.”

Before the injury, the Revolution, who reintroduced the 4-4-2 formation, jumped out to an attacking start as they marched into the Red Bull half early.

With sustained pressure in the opening minutes, Shalrie Joseph popped a pass ahead to Perovic, who escaped his mark then banged it by Bouna Condoul in the 8th minute.

“I was lucky,” said Perovic. “Shalrie’s a good passer. He was amazing.”

New York hurried to equalize. Joel Lindpere cracked a swift shot on frame that Burpo blocked the shot in the 16th minute.

Minutes later, though, the guests leveled when Stammler took a Roy Miller pass deep and unleashed an arching bid that sailed above Burpo’s mitts and into goal at the 20-minute mark.

New England offered its reply four minutes later. Off a solid, well-organized sequence in Seth Sinovic pushed forward and crossed it into the box where Red Bull defender Tim Ream quickly headed it right into his own net.

The back and forth attacks continued when Dane Richards sprinted into the box and put a hard shot on frame that Burpo quickly smothered in the 27th minute.

And so it continued until the home crowd was hushed shortly after half an hour. Off a Red Bull counterattack, Richards tore through the middle with an eye on goal before colliding right into Burpo, whose right leg gruesomely gave way on the play as Revolution medical personnel rushed his side in the 34th minute.

“It was awful to see,” said Revolution midfielder Chris Tierney. “It really rocked us, but we came together as a team and decided there was two ways to react to it: you can think about it and sob for him – or you can play on and win the game for him.”

And it was that attitude that carried the Revolution forward. With Bobby Shuttleworth appearing in his first league game, the club rallied around their injured teammate.

Their plan suffered a setback when New York settled into the New England end and Angel brilliantly steered a Danleigh Borman cross right into the net in the 49th minute.

But the Revolution refused to back down. Their efforts were aided when Red Bull defender Carlos Mendes was sent off after he received his second booking of the game in the 55th minute.

Twenty minutes after losing Mendes, the guests lost another player in the 75th minute when Roy Miller was given a straight red after his fist brazenly met the face of Revolution midfielder Zak Boggs.

Now, facing a severely-depleted Red Bull side, the Revolution, the memory of their befallen teammate fresh in their minds and fifteen minutes to find the clincher, stood on the gas.

Methodically dissecting their depleted opponent, the go-ahead appeared ten minutes before time. From the left corner of the box, Joseph chipped a pass into the box where Schilawski elevated, then glanced it through for the long-awaited clincher in the 80th minute.

“Shalrie weighted it perfectly and just kind of clipped it right in there in between the defenders and the keeper so I could get on it,” said Schilawski. “I just put it away from there.”

Without the personnel to mount a response this time around, Red Bulls mounted a pair of half chances late before they eventually bowed to the Revolution, who captured their first victory since their 4-1 victory over Toronto FC on April 10th.

“We’re just happy to get three points,” said Tierney. “The big thing was Preston going down. We’re so happy that we were able to win it for him. He’s been a warrior all year.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: